Intellectual Property enjoys a high profile as a valued asset and business tool throughout the entire Group Volvo.
Volvo Group Intellectual Property (VGIP) is responsible for intellectual property for the entire Volvo Group and consists of three departments: Patents; IP Strategy & Portfolio; and IP Legal, Trademarks & Designs.
The VGIP Patents department is global with locations in France, Japan, Korea, Sweden and the US. We are now looking for a Patent Attorney to join our highly skilled team in Gothenburg, Sweden.
You will report to the Group Director Patents.Main Tasks and Responsibilities
Your main tasks and responsibilities will be to:
Minimum Education and Experience
- Draft and prosecute patent applications and defend proprietary patents challenged by third parties
- Challenge third party patent rights
- Handle patent training, IP generation and invention harvesting workshops and provide advice and guidelines on inventions, invention disclosures and patent protection strategies
- Render patent-related opinions, such as patentability, freedom to operate, validity and infringement opinions
- Manage external Patent Attorneys in connection with patent related-services and tasks, and check quality of services and work products
- Provide support, as applicable, in contentious and/or enforcement patent matters, IP-related agreements and M&A matters
Critical Competencies and Skills
- Technical degree, such as Master of Science, equivalent or higher
- At least 5 years of experience working as a Patent Attorney or similar in industry or private practice, including expertise in patent application drafting and prosecution
- Qualified national Patent Attorney and/or European Patent Attorney. Partly-qualified candidates who have a strong interest to become qualified will also be considered
- Knowledge of patent law and practice of major jurisdictions
- Experience of rendering patent-related opinions, e.g. patentability, freedom to operate, validity and infringement opinions
You need to have a strong personal credibility and a can-do mindset with high drive and energy and be capable of performing multiple duties effectively in a fast paced environment. The position requires strong business acumen, customer focus and entrepreneurial drive.
Good English communication skills, both oral and written are essential. A good understanding of the automotive business is a merit but not a requirement.Further information
If you need further information about this position, please contact Johan Nyander, Group Director Patents, +46 76 55 33 273.About us
The Volvo Group is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, construction equipment and marine and industrial engines under the leading brands Volvo, Renault Trucks, Mack, UD Trucks, Eicher, SDLG, Terex Trucks, Prevost, Nova Bus, UD Bus, Sunwin Bus and Volvo Penta.
Volvo Group Trucks Technology provides Volvo Group Trucks and Business Area's with state-of-the-art research, cutting-edge engineering, product planning and purchasing services, as well as aftermarket product support.
With Volvo Group Trucks Technology you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.