Biopharmaceuticals R&D Cell Therapy department
Hays Life Sciences is now looking to recruit a Senior Scientist - Stem Cell Engineering to join the Biopharmaceuticals R&D Cell Therapy department for a 1 year contract assignment at AstraZeneca in Gothenburg.
Are you an experienced scientist in the field of cell biology and advanced cell culture? Do you have understanding of molecular switches, cloning, gene engineering (CRISPR) and other technologies within synthetic biology that you are keen to apply for the development of novel cell-based therapies? Join us and be a key player in the build of our Biopharmaceuticals R&D Cell Therapy department. Together we will push the boundaries of Science!
At AstraZeneca, you will be empowered to be innovative and creative where difference is valued. We thrive in a place where the brightest and most curious minds seamlessly come together in our inclusive environment. The role is placed at AstraZeneca's dynamic R&D site in Gothenburg, Sweden, where you will work in an international setting at the fore front of Cell Therapy science.
Biopharmaceuticals R&D is committed to the development of next generation innovative medicines, and we are building a Cell Therapy department with the goal to establish AstraZeneca as a world-leader in Cell Therapy across disease areas within Cardiovascular, Renal and Metabolism (CVRM) and Respiratory and Inflammation (R&I). The department will bring together ?50 specialists to support the organization with cell therapy expertise and capabilities, and we are working in close collaboration with experts across AstraZeneca globally to leverage the existing and emerging platforms in cell technologies, new modalities, universal cell lines and CRISPR-mediated genome editing.
What you'll do
This role provides an opportunity to work in an international, highly cross disciplinary environment with ground-breaking techniques and technologies within areas such as stem cell biology and precise genome editing. You will work together with our in vitro scientists and collaborate with disease area specialists, in vivo scientists and advanced imaging experts to develop our scientific capabilities and ensure efficient progress of Cell Therapy projects.
The role is focused on laboratory-based activities and you will use your scientific expertise to design and execute experiments and to deliver high quality data. Your biggest impact will be through practical and scientific contributions to support projects in compliance with AstraZeneca corporate responsibility, policies and relevant safety standards.
In this role it is essential to have good social and communication skills, be collaborative and a strong team player. You should be able to work independently, take own initiatives and have a positive, goal oriented and problem-solving attitude. Good organizational, data management and documentation skills are required, and you should be comfortable in presenting your results internally as well as at external meetings.
- Culture and differentiate pluripotent stem cells using small molecules/cytokines to physiological relevant cell types that can be used for cell therapy applications.
- Implement CRISPR, molecular switches and synthetic mRNA technologies in stem cells to improve the differentiation capacity.
- Implement receptor design and engineering strategies for immune cell types (e.g., CAR-T, CAR-M).
- Characterize and quantify cell phenotype/identity using readouts like qPCR, flow cytometry and imaging-based readouts.
- Develop and troubleshoot protocols for in vitro culture and differentiation of various cell types including pluripotent stem cells.
- Independently analyse and report data to support project decisions and communicate relevant information to project teams within the bioscience department as well as across other functions.
Essential for the role
- Ph.D. in Cell Biology or a related field with relevant academic or industrial experience.
- Experience with genome editing and developing reporter lines.
- Hands-on experience with mammalian cell culture and/or stem cell culture.
- Ability to work independently, take own initiatives and have a positive, goal oriented and problem-solving attitude
- Good organizational, data management and documentation skills
- Good scientific presentation skills and ability to comfortably present and discuss scientific data.
Desirable for the role
- Hands-on experience of hESC or hiPSC culture and differentiation. Experience in using synthetic mRNAs for driving stem cell differentiation.
- Experience in cellular analysis platforms like imaging (e.g. confocal, incucyte), flow cytometry or qPCR.
So, what's next? Are you already imagining yourself joining us?
Good, because we can't wait to hear from you!
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world's most serious diseases. At AstraZeneca, we are proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.