As a leading global supplier to a wide span of industries such as aerospace, railway, heavy industry machinery, energy sector, and automotive, SKF is represented in more than 130 countries with manufacturing sites, sales offices and distributors. SKF is firmly dedicated to attaining sustainable development with our employees and customers, for our societies and the environment. R&D investment is recognized by SKF as a critical enabler to achieving the goal by bringing forth products, solutions as well as manufacturing processes within bearings, seals, lubrication systems and services.
Gothenburg factory is the founding factory of SKF with around 1000 employees. It was also the first SKF factory that has successfully implemented 2 fully automated digital production channels for spherical roller bearings, reaching a new milestone in its quest for world-class manufacturing with next-generation manufacturing technology.
Development of a Kanban system between heat treatment and production channels
Gothenburg factory is looking for two Master thesis students in the areas of supply chain / logistic / digitalization with an interest of lean manufacturing material flow.
In supporting SKF Gothenburg E-Factory’s Lean concept, the thesis entails developing a Kanban system between Heat treatment and production channels within the factory. The aim is to reach a lean material flow.
The thesis shall provide Gothenburg E-Factory with:
- Describe the current way of planning in E Heat treatment
- Investigate what are the existing systems for planning Heat treatment in SKF
- Create a logic / module which can be used to plan E Heat treatment, taking the consideration of both the demands from all production channels and the productivity in the Heat treatment process (different gradings are for different material)
- Test the logic / module in real and evaluate the effect
- Create a proposal for Kanban system for the potential logistic project (new buffer area for rings and components buffer for all channels)
What we offer you in return is the opportunity to:
- Gain full value chain understanding in manufacturing processes
- Leverage new technology supporting operations in managing flow efficiency and productivity
- Materialize flow efficiency optimization with real practice in production
The project is suitable for highly motivated students with an interest and knowledge of industrial manufacturing processes, lean material flow, supply chain/logistic and who want to make an impact. The students shall have good Swedish and English skills. The project is meant to be carried out by two master students with an industrial engineering background and experience/knowledge of lean production systems. It is meritorious if the applicant(s) have experience in digitalization / programming background.
Period and scope
The scope shall be equivalent of a Master of Science thesis (30 HP). Tentative start date is Q3-2021.
The thesis will be performed at SKF in Gothenburg, Sweden.
If you have questions, please contact Mårten Andersson, manager manufacturing area E: [ Link removed ]
How to apply
Send your application including CV via the Apply-button as soon as possible, no later than 2021-11-17. Selection will be ongoing during the application period and interviews will be conducted continuously.
Welcome with your application!
SKF’s mission is to be the undisputed leader in the bearing business. SKF offers solutions around the rotating shaft, including bearings, seals, lubrication management, condition monitoring and maintenance services. SKF is represented in more than 130 countries and has around 17,000 distributor locations worldwide. Annual sales in SEK is around 75 billion and the number of employees ca 41,000.