Aberdeen Standard Investments ("ASI") is seeking to hire a Compliance Manager for its business in Sweden. Standard Life Aberdeen plc is one of the world´s largest investment companies, created in 2017 from the merger of Standard Life plc and Aberdeen Asset Management plc, operating under the brand ASI. The Compliance Manager will be based in ASI´s Stockholm office and will be responsible for:
• Compliance advisory service to the Swedish business of ASI, including direct real estate funds and real estate multi-manager funds managed in or advised from Sweden;
• Compliance advisory service to ASI products managed elsewhere and distributed in Sweden and other Nordic countries;
• All aspects of regulatory compliance for the Swedish branch of the Irish domiciled and Central Bank of Ireland regulated MiFID firm, Aberdeen Standard Investments Ireland Limited ("ASIIL");
• Assisting in the management of Compliance Risk in accordance with the Standard Life Aberdeen group´s risk appetite.
On 26 May 2020 ASI announced its plan to sell the direct real estate business in Sweden, Norway and Finland. Although no buyer is yet identified, the sale if it is concluded will impact the role as the future Swedish business will only exist of real estate multi-manager and distribution activities. The role will then expand to support other parts of the business of ASI such as cross border distribution activities, involvement in Group projects and potential compliance support to other ASI offices.
The Compliance Manager will report to the Amsterdam-based Head of Compliance Nordics, Germany and The Netherlands. The Compliance function aims to provide a high degree of assurance that ASI meets its regulatory objectives in each applicable jurisdiction.
This role will support the development, implementation and execution of the Compliance Framework and operating model within ASIIL´s Swedish Branch and will work closely with the Swedish Branch Manager in respect of this. In addition, the Compliance Manager will be responsible for the effective provision of the technical compliance advisory services required to support all aspects of ASI´s business in Sweden and the wider Nordic region including local funds and separate account mandates, and will support and be an integral part of ASI´s EMEA-ex UK Compliance team.
• To be responsible for the provision of high quality, compliance advice through liaising with senior management and other employees and to support ASI´s business activities in accordance both with the group´s risk appetite and all prevailing regulatory requirements.
• To provide support for other areas of ASI Risk & Compliance as directed by the Line Manager from time to time.
• To sponsor the highest standards of conduct and ethical practice across the ASI Sweden business, in strict compliance with the letter and spirit of regulatory standards and in accordance with the group´s commitment towards acting in the best interests of our customers at all times.
• To liaise regularly with the Line Manager and senior management in the ASI Swedish business to ensure that general compliance assistance is provided, as required.
• To attend and prepare reports for meetings of the ASI regulated group companies and committees as may be reasonably required and agreed to ensure that management are suitably apprised of relevant and material regulatory compliance issues.
• To review and sign off of all presentation material used by Business Development with potential and existing clients/distributors. The role will require a close working relationship with ASI´s Marketing Department and ASI´s Business Development Department.
• To monitor all relevant regulatory developments as well as evolving best practices in compliance control and to keep the Swedish office advised of any potential impact. This includes ensuring the efficiency of compliance controls and processes and improving them continuously.
• To act as primary point of contact for the Swedish regulators in respect of business activities carried on by ASI and ensure optimal management of the regulatory relationships, in doing so demonstrating ASI´s commitment to the highest standards of conduct.
• To ensure that appropriate compliance training is given to the Swedish staff and, as the case may be, staff elsewhere in the Nordics.
• To act as Money Laundering Reporting Officer in Sweden and assist both ASI´s and ASIIL´s MLRO´s in ensuring compliance with money laundering and other financial crime prevention requirements.
Who are you?
To be successful in this position you need to have a University degree within Law, business administration, finance or accounting.
You need also to be able to demonstrate:
• A very good track record in Compliance/Risk/Legal or similar functions for 3-5 years
• Preferably experience in Asset Management or Fund Industry or in the broader Financial Industry
• An understanding of AIFMD, UCITS Directive, MiFID II and Anti Financial Crime Legislation is preferable but not a prerequisite. Training on the job will be provided on all relevant legal and regulatory elements.
• Fluent English and Swedish, speaking and writing.
• An appreciation of risk, and how risks can be mitigated, coupled with a measured and sensible approach when dealing with senior professionals.
• A good sense of integrity and a demonstrable approach to discretion recognising that he/she may periodically be in receipt of sensitive information.
• Ability to work alone and as part of a wider Compliance team.
• Proactive approach to the execution of his/her work.
• "Get it done" work mentality
How to apply?
In this recruitment process, ASI is supported by Jurek. Interviews will be carried out as applications (in English) are received, so please apply as soon as possible via www.jurek.se.
Please note that we do not accept applications via e-mail. For any questions, please contact recruitment consultant Ulriikka Järnefelt by phone 0766 33 14 40.
About the company
Aberdeen Standard Investments is dedicated to helping investors around the world reach their desired investment goals and broaden their financial horizons.
We seek to provide world-class investment expertise across a breadth of markets and asset classes. Our full range of solutions span equities, multi-asset, fixed income, liquidity, sovereign wealth funds, real estate and private markets. Coupled with a wide range of investment approaches, we transform new investment ideas into practical investment products designed to deliver real value for money to investors.
With employees in more than 40 locations worldwide, our operations extend across global financial capitals and important regional centres. This brings us closer to our clients and customers around the world, and provides invaluable knowledge and insight to share with our people.